Waukesha Coin Club Newsletter
VOL.LI April 2019 #4
ANA # C-1070749
Our March meeting included reports from the Coin Show committee. Discussed setup and preparation for the upcoming show.
Other reports and topics discussed: Per an article in Coin World, the U.S. Mint is issuing a 2019 1¢ with a “W” mint mark which will be available only in proof and mint sets. As of this year, the U.S. Mint has stopped producing 90% silver coins, and is producing .999 silver coins instead. Coins salvaged from the steamship Pulaski which sank off the coast of North Carolina in 1838 are now being sold. The wreck was located in May of 2018, and 502 rare gold and silver coins have been found so far – all in good shape. It’s estimated there could be over 100,000 coins left to be recovered. A coin collector in England was stabbed to death by a rival collector who stole his collection of Beatrix Potter coins. A Florida man stole rare coins worth $33,000 and cashed them in at a Coinstar machine for roughly $30. He got enough store credit to buy two 12-packs of beer. Exhibits included: five ounce silver coin from the U.S. Mint commemorating the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 moon walk. A $1 and 50 cent from the same set. A 2013 2 kune coin from Croatia received in change.
April’s meeting is our Annual Raffle drawing! Buy your tickets at the beginning of the meeting.
Next Meeting: Wed, April 3rd @ 7PM
Refreshments – Chuck P
Door Prizes – none (raffle)
- Our next regular meeting of the Waukesha Coin Club will be held at 7:00 P.M. on Wednesday, April 3rd , at the Waukesha Salvation Army meeting room located at 445 Madison Street. The Salvation Army is located one block west of the corner of Highway 18 and Madison Street. Enter through the back door and take the elevator to the second floor.
- RAFFLE NIGHT! Buy tickets at the meeting.
- Annual Dues!!! – Please pay your annual dues at the next meeting: $15 for member, $7.50 junior member (<18 yrs).
- Guests Welcome: If anyone wants to bring new collectors young or old to the meetings, remember that guests are always welcome!
Trivia: (None) will resume in May
Pot Coin: (None) will resume in May
April 7, 2019 – Appleton Fox Valley Coin Club’s 64rd Annual Spring Coin Show at Darboy Club, N.9695 County Rd. N., Appleton, WI. 40 tables. Free Admission. 9a -4p. Contact James Bayer/Jerry Roberts, PO Box 1981, Appleton, WI 54912 54915. Ph: 920-209-4266.
April 12-13, 2019 – Milwaukee SSCC (Friday-Saturday)
South Shore Coin Club’s Annual Coin Show at the Crowne Plaza Milwaukee Airport, 6401 S. 13th St., Milwaukee, WI. April 12 (12 -6), April 13 (10 -4). First 150 seniors (62+) and Vets Free. Contact Joe B. at 414-327-6156. Joedee71@wi.rr.com Website: ssccmke.org.
April 14, 2019 – WAUSAU Wisconsin Valley Coin Club Show
Plaza Hotel & Suites, 201 N 17th Ave, Wausau, WI 54401, Hours: 9-4. Free admission and parking. 45+ tables. Show contact: Thad Streeter, 5002 Tanya St., Schofield, WI 54476. Phone: 715-574-2777, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
April 24-27, 2019 – Schaumburg, IL (Central States)
Central States Numismatic Society 80th annual convention. Renaissance Schaumburg Hotel and Convention Center. 1551 N. Thoreau Dr. Schaumburg, IL 60173. Convention Chairman: Kevin Foley, Kevinsfoley. email@example.com. Bourse Chair: Patricia Foley, firstname.lastname@example.org
April 28, 2019 – Green Bay *NOW SHOW*
Nicolet Coin Club’s spring show. Stadium View Bar and Grill, 1963 Holmgren Way, Green Bay, WI 54304. 50 tables, Free Admission and Parking. 9am – 3pm. Contact: Roger Bohn 920-819-7294 email@example.com
Collector’s Challenge: A Challenge to report coins found in change this year. Any coin or token of interest will be listed in the newsletter after reported.
- 1 Peso 1979 Mexico – Coin Star – Glenn J
- 2000 10 centavos from Ecuador – Coin Star – Glenn J
- Silver Quarter 1962-D – in change – Glenn J.
- 1953-D Lincoln, Coin star, Mark M.
- 1 cent Euro from Spain, Coin Star, Mark M.
- $1 Silver Cert series 1953 G, Arby’s, Mark M
- 1946 Dime (F), Coin star, Glenn J.
- 1964 Quarter (F), Coin Star, Glenn J.
- 1984 Canadian cent, Sentry, Mark M.
- 1956-D Lincoln Cent,Metro Market, Mark M.
- 1957-D Lincoln Cent (XF-AU), Dairy Queen, Mark M.
- 2013 2 kune coin from Croatia,in Change, Bob B.
- 2006 $1 Mexican coin, Coinstar. Glenn G
- 2006 $1 Mexican Coin, Coinstar, Glenn G.
- 2015 $1 Mexican Coin, Coinstar, Glenn G.
- 2016 $1 Mexican Coin, Coinstar, Glenn G.
Call for Presentations!!! – We would like to set our calendar for the year with some presentation by our members. Pick a month and reserve your spot.
April – Raffle
May – MPC – John W.
June – Open
July – Open
August – Open
Sept – Auction (TBD) Don & Randy
Oct – “Sailing Into History” – Tina S.
Nov – Open
Dec – Christmas Dinner