Waukesha Coin Club Newsletter
VOL.LI June 2019 #6
ANA # C-1070749
Our May meeting included current event discussions: The Mint announced it would be releasing into circulation this year two million each of the 2019 America the Beautiful quarters with special “W” mint marks. These will not be included in the 2019 mint or proof sets. Four Israeli high school students hiking along a stream in western Galilee in February found a rare Byzantine gold coin, never found before in Israel. The coin from the 5th century shows the image of Byzantine Emperor Theodosius II. An amateur metal detector stumbled across a rare 500-year-old “half angel” gold coin near one of England’s most historic battlefields. The coin was minted during the reign of King Richard III, and is one of only a handful still in existence. Experts speculate the coin may have been dropped by one of Richard’s soldiers fleeing the Battle of Bosworth Field in 1485. It is now set fetch £15,000 ($20,000) at an auction of coins in December. Four amateur metal detectorists taking part in a four day rally in Buckinghamshire, England, unearthed over 550 rare gold and silver coins , including 12 ‘extremely rare’ gold coins from the time of the Black Death . It is estimated the coins were stashed more than 600 years ago. The coins are potentially worth £150,000 ($195,000). Members discussed the “Great American Coin Hunt”. Members explained that the coin hunt was sponsored by the ANA and involved dealers putting old and rare coins into circulation for folks to find.
Exhibits included: a silver “Sand Dollar” issued by the Island of Palau. A badge from the National Education Association’s 1903 convention, and a medal issued by the Women’s Relief Corporation for their 1890 convention.
Next Meeting: Wed, June 5th @ 7PM
Refreshments – Fernando M.
Door Prizes – Don K
- Our next regular meeting of the Waukesha Coin Club will be held at 7:00 P.M. on Wednesday, June 5th , at the Waukesha Salvation Army meeting room located at 445 Madison Street. The Salvation Army is located one block west of the corner of Highway 18 and Madison Street. Enter through the back door and take the elevator to the second floor.
- Guests Welcome: If anyone wants to bring new collectors young or old to the meetings, remember that guests are always welcome!
Trivia: Who’s signature is on the first coin from the United States Mint’s American Innovation $1 Coin Series?
Pot Coin: (1) Gold colored Dollar coin from the Native American Coin Series.
June 8, 2019 – Rice Lake Barron County Coin Show At Cedar Mall, 2900 S. Main St, Rice Lake.Hours 9:30 A.M.-3:00 P.M. Bourse Chair: Sue Peterson, P O Box 362, Rice Lake WI 54868
August 11, 2019 – Beaver Dam Beaver Dam Coin Club’s 5th Annual Coin Show – American Legion Post, 300 Beichl Av., Beaver Dam, WI 53916 – Hours: 9am – 3pm. Free Admission. Contact: Bob Krueger 920-386-2134, 113 S. Depot St. Juneau, WI 53039
August 25, 2019 – Fond du Lac Fond du Lac Coin Club’s annual show at the RADISSON HOTEL (formerly Holiday Inn) SAME LOCATION, 625 W. Rolling Meadows, Fond du Lac, WI. 9am-4pm. Contact Randy Miller, PO Box 254, Oshkosh, WI 54903. 920-231-6161
Collector’s Challenge: A Challenge to report coins found in change this year. Any coin or token of interest will be listed in the newsletter after reported.
- 1 Peso 1979 Mexico – Coin Star – Glenn J
- 2000 10 centavos from Ecuador – Coin Star – Glenn J
- Silver Quarter 1962-D – in change – Glenn J.
- 1953-D Lincoln, Coin star, Mark M.
- 1 cent Euro from Spain, Coin Star, Mark M.
- $1 Silver Cert series 1953 G, Arby’s, Mark M
- 1946 Dime (F), Coin star, Glenn J.
- 1964 Quarter (F), Coin Star, Glenn J.
- 1984 Canadian cent, Sentry, Mark M.
- 1956-D Lincoln Cent,Metro Market, Mark M.
- 1957-D Lincoln Cent (XF-AU), Dairy Queen, Mark M.
- 2013 2 kune coin from Croatia,in Change, Bob B.
- 2006 $1 Mexican coin, Coinstar. Glenn G
- 2006 $1 Mexican Coin, Coinstar, Glenn G.
- 2015 $1 Mexican Coin, Coinstar, Glenn G.
- 2016 $1 Mexican Coin, Coinstar, Glenn G.
- 10 pence – in change buying token souvenir, John W.
- 1949-D Cent (F) – in change, CVS, Glenn G.
- 1945 Cent (F) – in change, CVS, Glenn G.
- 2001 Canadian 10 Cent, Coin Star, Glenn G.
- 1987 Canadian 1 Cent, Coin Star, Glenn G.
- 1951-D Lincoln – in change John’s Root Beer, Mark M
- 1974 Canadian cent, Arby’s, Mark M.
- 1963 Roosevelt Dime, in change Metro Market, Mark M
- 1999 5 cent euro, Spain, Coinstar, Mark M
- 2002 5 cent euro, Portugal, Coinstar, Mark M
Call for Presentations!!! – We would like to set our calendar for the year with some presentation by our members. Pick a month and reserve your spot.
June – Metals & Mining – Chuck P.
July – Open
August – Open
Sept – Auction (TBD) Don & Randy
Oct – “Sailing Into History” – Tina S.
Nov – Open
Dec – Christmas Dinner