Waukesha Coin Club Newsletter
VOL.LI Oct 2019 #10
ANA # C-1070749
In our September meeting, this year’s auction was discussed and will be held at our November meeting. Members who have items they’d like to auction off can send item descriptions and minimum bids to Randy or Don for inclusion in the next newsletter. Remember to bring cash to the meeting to pay for any items they successfully bid on.
The Christmas dinner will be held Wed, Dec 4th. at the Tuscan Hall. Dinner choices are: Steak & Chicken or Steak & Salmon. RSVP with Randy by Nov 15 latest. $20 per person. Pay at Nov 6 meeting or send check to Randy.
Current events: National Parks quarters released with “W” mintmarks this year are currently selling for between $30 and $50. A writer to Coin World noted that, while two million of each quarter were released with the “W” mintmark, “S” mintages for quarters since 2018 have all been less than two million, and “S” mint-marked quarters are selling for far less. In England. A hoard of 2,500 coins was found in Somerset at the site of the battle of Hastings, and over 200 silver coins were recovered from a former military camp near the site of the Battle of Roslin in Midlothian. A 1894-S Barber dime sold at the ANA Auction in August for $1.32 million.
Exhibits included: Armenian silver tram and double tram coins dated from the time of the Crusades and were attributed to a hoard of about 8,600 coins that was found in the Middle East. A 1973 Canadian commemorative half dollar featuring sail boats. An American Innovation reverse-proof quarter.
WCC auction: November 6th. Submit (6 word) descriptions of your items to Randy or Don by Nov 1st. with or without min bid. (WCC members only)
Next Meeting: Wed, Oct 2 @ 7PM
Refreshments – Becky
Door Prizes – Steve
- Bring Food Donations to the October meeting for the Salvation Army.
- WCC auction, November 6th. Submit (6 word) descriptions of your items to Randy or Don by Nov 1st. with min bid. (WCC members only)
- Christmas dinner will be held Wed, Dec 4th. at the Tuscan Hall. Dinner choices are: Steak & Chicken or Steak & Salmon. RSVP with Randy by Nov 15 latest. $20 per person. Pay at Nov 6 meeting.
- Our next regular meeting of the Waukesha Coin Club will be held at 7:00 P.M. on Wednesday, Oct 2nd , at the Waukesha Salvation Army meeting room located at 445 Madison Street. The Salvation Army is located one block west of the corner of Highway 18 and Madison Street. Enter through the back door and take the elevator to the second floor.
- Guests Welcome: If anyone wants to bring new collectors young or old to the meetings, remember that guests are always welcome!
Trivia: In the “old” commemorative half dollar series there is a coin that commemorated a nonevent sponsored by a nonexistent committee with a theme that was not supported by history. What was that coin?
Pot Coin: (1) Buffalo Nickel (with date)
October 6, 2019 – Milwaukee MNS
Milwaukee Numismatic Society’s Annual Coin Show. American Serb Memorial Hall. 5101 W. Oklahoma Ave, Milwaukee. Hours: 9am-4pm. 75 tables. $2 admission. Show Chairman; Paul Kromm. email@example.com
October 13, 2019– Sheboygan
Sheboygan Coin Club’s fall show. At VFW Hall, 522 S. Evans St., Sheboygan, WI. 9am – 3pm. Free Admission. Contact: Ryan 920-980-852
October 27, 2019 – Green Bay
Nicolet Coin Club’s Fall show. Stadium View Bar and Grill, 1963 Holmgren Way, Green Bay, WI 54304. 50 tables, Free Admission and Parking. 9am – 3pm. Contact: Roger Bohn 920-819-7294 firstname.lastname@example.org
October 27, 2019 – Elgin, IL
Elgin Coin Club’s 2019 Fall Coin Show. Holiday Inn, 495 Airport Rd, Elgin IL, 60123. Free Admission, 8a – 3p. Contact: Guy Hultberg 847-804-6362, Howard Curtis email@example.com
Call for Presentations!!! – We would like to set our calendar for the year with some presentation by our members. Pick a month and reserve your spot.
Oct – Unit/Challenge Coins John W.
Nov – Auction – Don & Randy, Submittal deadline Nov 1
Dec – Christmas Dinner